Never Give Up

by Alicia Jay

As I check forums and read blogs trying to make connections with friends, colleagues and potential clients I can’t help but notice the frustration I see out there from new business owners. People are worried. They’re worried that they won’t get enough clients. They’re worried that they’re not doing the whole social media thing right. They’re worried that they won’t make enough money doing what they love to do.

Never give up on your business

Hang In There

I have to tell you that I felt all of these things myself. I was new at all of this not long ago. I just want to remind you that you have to believe in yourself, work hard and by all means–DO NOT GIVE UP! I’m not saying that any of this is easy. In fact, if you’re offered some opportunity to make tons of money overnight that will just flow in without you lifting a finger you should REALLY take some time to consider the chances of that happening.

What I AM saying is that all of the hard work is worth it. Who’s to tell you that you can’t make money doing something you love? If you’re an artist and that’s your passion, then set up a website and offer your services to people like Barbi Williams did. Do something–don’t give up on yourself or your dreams. You might fail a couple of times. You will make mistakes. The road might be long but you’ll have a great story to tell!

Write down what you really want and then work toward it. There will be twists and turns and you may even change direction on the path but that’s okay. As our lives change it’s only natural that our businesses will change as well. Just be true to yourself.

If you’re still stuck on the questions in the first paragraph I’ll give you some tips to help you along. If you’re stuck on the “how to make connections and lasting relationships” part  or need a coach to help you, visit Carol Deckert’s Facebook page for Contacts to Connections. If you’re overwhelmed and social media is making your head spin, visit Ken Mueller’s Inkling Media blog. If you need to stay focused and keep putting one foot in front of the other towards business success then visit Kaarina Dillabough‘s Decide2Do site. All of these people have helped me along my path in unique ways. I know they can do the same for you.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic in the comments below. I’d also love to see you over on my Facebook page and continue the discussion there!

About Alicia Jay

Alicia is a virtual assistant specializing in transcription. She loves to help her clients make the most out of their audio posts, webinars and teleclasses by re-purposing them with transcripts. Her clients include entrepreneurs, business coaches, health and fitness experts and other virtual assistants. She blogs about news in the VA industry as well as business and customer service tips.

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Kaarina Dillabough

Thanks so much Alicia, for the lovely tip of the hat. I’m honoured and grateful:)You’ve hit the nail on the head when you said: “in the end, it comes down to you. No one else can do it for you. There is no magic way…”

Until you roll up your sleeves, face your fears, embrace challenge and DO, nothing happens. Fly, flop, fail, forge on and learn from your mistakes. Every day you will improve and take another step closer to your goals and dreams. Cheers! Kaarina
Kaarina Dillabough recently posted..I don’t have a to-do list, I have a will-do listMy Profile

Alicia Jay

Kaarina, you deserve it! Always something good over at your place even if I can’t comment as often as I’d like! I really loved your last sentiment here..”Fly, flop, fail, forge on and learn from your mistakes. Every day you will improve and take another step closer to your goals and dreams.” Just perfect! Thanks for sharing:)

Bill Dorman

Uh, Ken’s place makes my head spin….he posts as much as @TheJackB; he’s one prolific social media dude. He covers it about as well as Gini.

Good advice; anything worth doing is worth putting the time and effort into it to make it happen. I do some who expect instant gratification and throw in the towel much too early.

Until I win the lottery, I’m guessing I will probably have to work for my wages; especially since I don’t buy lottery tickets, huh?

Good to see you at Gini’s; thanks so much.
Bill Dorman recently posted..Hey Spin Sucks, your back door is unlockedMy Profile

Alicia Jay

Hey Bill!

Yeah, I can never keep up with Ken. Although it’s nice to know that if I need to figure something out that is social media related I can always go over there and snoop around his site.

You and me both on the lottery thing. People keep telling me that, too. You gotta play to win! I was happy to stop by Gini’s and see you there! I really did love that post:) Glad you came by here today!

Joyce

At some point in the various journeys we embark on in our lives, we get to a part where we feel like giving up. Sometimes we give up before we even start and other times we give up just before we are about to make that huge break-through that we have been putting so much effort in to achieve.

I have created this list of 22 reasons why you should never give up and I hope that you will find it before you give up, so that I can inspire you to keep going!

BarbaraJPeters

I enjoyed reading your post and how you decided never to give up. Sometimes things are really tough and most often we are the hardest on ourselves. There are people who can hold you up and guide you if you are willing to do the work. Congratulations on your accomplishments and to your future successes.

Alicia Jay

Thanks so much, Barbara. I decided to be a bit transparent here so that people know it’s not always easy having your own business–but definitely possible–and worth it!

Sherie

We live in a society of instant gratification so I really enjoyed reading your post about giving it time…patience is a virtue, right? So agree with you that there is no magic in it…just hard work and keeping on. Great post on never giving up!
Sherie recently posted..Why You Don’t Get What You WantMy Profile

Alicia Jay

Hi Sherie,

I completely agree with you about the whole “giving it time” thing. In my other business where I help out new virtual assistants, one of the most common questions is, “How quickly will I get clients?” It’s so hard to wait when you’re excited and ready to go but true relationships take time.

Anita

Such an uplifting message and a great time of year to post it as people will be getting clarity on 2013 and visions, goals and so forth.
Anita recently posted..Think Like a Powerful WomanMy Profile

Alicia Jay

Hi Anita,

Thanks so much. It was one of those ones that just came up for me so I had to share hoping that it might help someone else.

olga Hermans

Good to know you, let’s stay in touch!

Alicia Jay

Hi Olga,

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Alexandra McAllister

Thanks for sharing such an inspirational article. Congratulations on never giving up and hats off to all your success and accomplishments! Bless you.
Alexandra McAllister recently posted..What Are Your Sales Conversion Numbers?My Profile

Alicia Jay

Thank you, Alexandra. Sometimes we need to take a moment to recognize the accomplishments that we’ve made.

Liz B

Great pep-talk!!!

Alicia Jay

Thanks, Liz. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Jamie

I admire every entrepreneur out there because THERE is a lot of work that goes into your own business.

And it makes me want to support those small business owners more than anything.
Jamie recently posted..Thanksgiving Traditions with #cbias and #choosesmart #sponMy Profile

Carolyn Hughes

A great motivational post Alicia! I love your comment ‘be true to yourself”. That is very important to me.
Carolyn Hughes recently posted..What if…..?My Profile

Lisa Frederiksen - BreakingTheCycles.com

This such an important post / reminder – I especially loved this paragraph, “However, in the end, it comes down to you. No one else can do it for you. There is no magic way to be a successful business owner. How badly do you want it? How hard are you willing to work for it? What is your motivation? What will it look like when you get “there?” It IS possible to be successful. Never give up.”

Cathy | Treatment Talk

You make great points in your post about having patience and giving it time. It is hard work, but success can come if you don’t stop.
Cathy | Treatment Talk recently posted..Letting Go of the Dream for Our ChildrenMy Profile